Sunday, February 16, 2014

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Against All Grain

I had a couple of very ripe bananas that needed to be used today or thrown out. As luck would have it, I came across a yummy-sounding recipe for these banana muffins on Facebook, posted by a blogger I follow, Danielle Walker: http://againstallgrain.com. Find the recipe here.

The recipe calls for a streusel topping, but I chose to not do that part. Also, I didn't have chocolate chips on hand, but I had a bar of unsweetened baking chocolate, so I chopped that up and used it instead. I only had two bananas, and the recipe called for three. Turned out just fine.

This author is a proponent of grain-free eating, so the recipe uses almond and coconut flours instead of regular flour. I made it using those flours, and it turned out delicious! But you can substitute regular or whole wheat flour if you wish.

The oil is coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil many traditional recipes call for. The recipe also doesn't call for any added sugar. It's sweetened with the bananas and honey. I promise you, these muffins taste as yummy (even more so, in my opinion) as the recipes that call for the extra sugar and flour.

A couple of months ago I met with Jason Meyer at Fenner Nature Center in Lansing, MI to talk about marketing (my day job), and he was kind enough to give me a jar of pure maple cream that was made locally at a farm there in Lansing. I spread some of it on a muffin. OMG! Delish!

For me, this is further evidence that healthy recipes and real food not only make you feel better, but also taste better than junk-filled recipes. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment