Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book Review: Don't Go, by Lisa Scottoline



If you’re a Lisa Scottoline fan, Don’t Go will not disappoint.

Personally, the legal/crime drama isn’t my favorite genre. This book was last month’s read for our book group, The Novelties. One of my favorite things about this group is that I end up reading some books I probably wouldn’t have picked up on my own if not for the group. This is one of them. I’ve read some of Scottoline’s work in the past, and while she’s a wonderful writer and storyteller, I just don’t usually enjoy the suspense of following the emotional fallout of a battle as it unfolds in the courtroom. Ok, there’s my disclosure.

That being said, I will re-state, if you like this type of story this will be a book you won’t want to put down. The unexpected turns come at you quickly and keep you in suspense. Actually, throughout the first third or so of the book, I was beginning to think the story didn’t feel like classic Scottoline style. The courtroom drama didn’t begin until closer to the end. 

The meat of the story takes you through one, “NO WAY!” scene after another as you get to know Mike Scanlon, the main character. The things that kept happening to him make you want to jump into the book and defend him yourself. At the same time, some of the things he went through started to feel a little bit too outrageous to be believable. And then, just when you thought you wouldn’t be able to handle another, “NO WAY!” it all comes to a head and you finally get some relief.

If I were rating this book out of 5 stars, I would give this one a 3.8. I’m glad I read it, and I would recommend it, especially if you like the legal drama type of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment