Saturday, February 8, 2014

My New Schedule and Yummy Banana Breakfasts

My hubby bought me this scarf yesterday :)
It's been a little over a month since my last post. This past month has been full of change and challenges. All good stuff, but time consuming and exhausting. I'm having to learn a new way to balance work and home all over again.

I was offered the opportunity to step into a leadership role with a news media company, coaching and mentoring sales reps who sell marketing solutions similar to what I did for my previous employer. It was a natural step in the right direction for me, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

The challenge for me is managing my time. The position is statewide, supporting offices in several regions of the state. The closest office to my home is a 45 minute drive one way. Others are up to two hours away. So I usually leave my house around 7:00 or 7:30 am and sometimes don't get home until 7:00 or 7:30 pm.

The work itself is rewarding and extremely fulfilling. I have value to offer in specific areas for the company, and I'm busy from start to end of every day. The days and weeks fly by. I like that, but the long days make it difficult to stick to my nutrition goals. It's tough to cook dinner the way I want to each night, so I find myself eating on the fly quite a bit.

One thing I've been able to stick with pretty well is my workout routine. I get up an hour earlier than I used to now so that I can make it to the gym before work. My day starts at 4am. I start out with coffee and a half hour of reading (I try to keep a non-fiction/self-improvement book going all the time), then I'm off to the gym. Then I come back and have breakfast and get ready for work.

My breakfast of choice lately has been a french toast-like scramble. I forget the name of the dish and which blog I found it on, but if I find it again I'll come back here and give credit. It's basically like french toast without the toast. You mash a banana, then add two eggs, cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. Scramble it all together and cook it in a skillet with butter or coconut oil until the egg is cooked. I top it with a big spoonful of natural peanut butter or almond butter. Yummy!!!

Today I made banana chocolate chip pancakes from this recipe on the Against All Grain blog. It's made with almond flour instead of white flour. I topped it with real maple syrup. I thought it tasted really good, but my family wasn't eager to help me eat it, so It was lunch today and I have some left over for tomorrow's breakfast.

As I get used to my routine I'll start working things like my blog back into my regular schedule. I've missed being here. I hope you all had a great January! 

No comments:

Post a Comment