Sunday, June 9, 2013

Thankful for My Children, 6/9/13



Someone once asked me, “What accomplishment in your life are you most proud of?” I answered without hesitation, “My children.” I have two, Shelby (19) and Jake (21). They are both the best things I’ve ever done, and with God’s grace, I must have done a few things right.

Today I am thankful for the pride and love I feel for Jake. He is a U.S. Marine, serving in the reserves from a base in Battle Creek. The company he is attached to is in the middle of their yearly two week drill, and today was family day at the base. The families of the Marines were able to visit the base and have a tour and demonstration of some of the training our Marines go through every month.

I can’t even come close to finding words that could do justice to the way I feel about the men and women who serve in our armed forces. Thankfulness is only the tip of the iceberg. The thought of my son being one of them is enough to bring tears to my eyes. I am proud of his service, and I am thankful for the experience he is gaining.

I feel a special connection to his service, because I can relate to the stories he tells and speak the language with him. I was a Marine myself, twenty-some-odd years ago. Many things have changed in our Marine Corps since the years I was in, but the core principles have not. Semper Fidelis!

No comments:

Post a Comment