Sunday, June 30, 2013

Studying for Certification in Personal Training



And so it begins. Yesterday I signed up for the Certified Personal Trainer course through ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association).  I’m SO excited, like a kid with a new toy!

I held a group fitness instructor certification for several years, back in my aerobics days. At the time, I was leading eight to twelve aerobics, spinning and toning classes each week. My kids were babies and I didn’t want to go back to a regular full-time job, so I turned my fitness hobby into my job. Eventually, as Jake and Shelby got older and into school, I worked my way back into the work force a little bit at a time. I let my fitness certification expire when the scale tipped almost entirely to me working full time outside the fitness industry. It’s been over 10 years since that certification was current, and I’m finding out that quite a bit has changed in what is known about things like the best ways to burn fat, nutrition theories and objective-specific training.

When I held my previous fitness certification, I practiced basic knowledge of using music and choreographed movement to lead people through an hour-long workout session. I acquired my certification in a weekend-long seminar ending with a practical and written exam. My goal this time is to be able to offer potential clients the entire package: health coaching that includes a step-by-step plan starting at where he or she is now, working methodically toward where he or she wants to be. It will require getting to know the client’s history, current condition, body type, current exercise and eating habits, likes and dislikes regarding activities and food, and more. I want to be able to educate and guide clients into a fitness lifestyle that develops around his or her evolving goals.


The course I just enrolled in is much more in-depth than my previous training. It covers topics like Anatomy and Physiology, Kinesiology and Biomechanics, Health and Physical Fitness, and Nutrition. I hope to be able to complete the program in three months or less. My studying will be done in my off time (evenings and weekends) while continuing to work full-time at MLive Media Group. Stay tuned...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment