Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Nutrition Goals For This Week

Building on my previous post where I said I pledge to not have any days this week of eating horribly (high carb, sugar, calories), I'm going to take that pledge a step further. I'm going to plan out what to eat each day, which will keep me from grabbing whatever is easy or sitting around the office.

I've been reading a lot about different approaches to healthy eating: paleo, ketogenic, zone, atkins, etc. One thing all of these have in common is they are low in simple carbohydrates and low to moderate in complex carbohydrates. It focuses the majority of what goes into your body on being protein, vegetables and healthy fat.

The science is out there to support the benefits of this type of eating. For the past couple of decades, low-fat, high-carb has been pushed down our throats, so much so that considering a higher fat diet is scary. However, our bodies need fat. Fat isn't what makes us fat. Sugar and other simple carbohydrates are what makes us fat. The problem happens when we eat fat plus too many carbohydrates.

I won't be going to the extreme on any of these diets - they go in phases, and I can't see myself sticking strictly with them through all the phases. I plan on my diet being made up of whole food - no fat-free, sugar/chemical/artificial laden food. That whole food will be meat, dairy, vegetables, some fruit and healthy fats. (At least that's what my goal is.) I will probably include some complex carbs, like rice and oatmeal, but I will strive to have very little, if any, added sugar or other simple carbs. I'm not going to count calories - I will instead eat normal sized portions and listen when my body tells me I've had enough. Also, I will drink water all day long.

I've been successful in the past staying on track with my nutrition goals when I plan out my week, or at least a few days at a time, and prepare as much as I can ahead. It takes some time up front, but following through is a snap.




Another thing that I believe will help me stay on track is accountability. So I will strive to post here each evening what my diet plan is for the next day, and how I did sticking with it that day. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Tomorrow:
  • Pre-workout: Amino energy drink & 1/2 a banana
  • Strength training
  • Post workout/breakfast: 
    • Whey protein shake made with whey powder, almond milk, yogurt, mango
    • Coffee w/honey and almond milk
  • Lunch
    • BBQ pork
    • Baked potato
    • Salad: spinach, broccoli, red pepper, cucumber w/raspberry vinaigrette
  • Snack: apple and latte w/honey and cinnamon
  • Dinner: 
    • Baked pork chop
    • Raw veggies: broccoli, cucumber, carrot
    • 5 oz glass of red wine  

No comments:

Post a Comment