Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Journey on a 21 Day Sugar Detox

I've decided to begin a nutrition program I found here: www.balancedbites.com. It's called 21 Day Sugar Detox. Diane Sanfilippo, a Holistic Nutritionist, wrote this book a year or so ago as an e-book. It's now available in hard cover. I purchased the e-book version this weekend and have read it.

Diane provides information on added sugar in today's standard American diet and how it affects our bodies. I've tried a couple of other times to experiment with not eating bread, pasta and other refined carbs and processed foods. I always make it through a few days, and then I lose my resolve, usually because of a lack of planning.

Diane’s book provides a comprehensive plan that includes menus and shopping lists. I’m going to start planning this week and begin my 21 days on Monday, 11/18. I will write about my progress here.

This is not a “low/no-carb” diet. With this meal plan, your carbs come from whole foods like vegetables, some fruit and sometimes rice. The key features of the plan are that it contains no wheat, bread, gluten, simple carbs or processed foods. My reason for wanting to eat like this is that I want to see how my body reacts to being cleaned up on the inside. I suspect I’ll see an improvement in my asthma symptoms and energy level, among other things. I will report the way I feel as I go.

“The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison.” ---Ann Wigmore

I heard something last week that I will repeat to myself each time I feel my resolve fading: “It can be done; the question is whether or not I will do it.” My regional director at work said that in a conversation about doing the things necessary to meet goals. She’s a smart cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment